Thursday 30 December 2010

My First Etape training program

Having demolished a few beers with Gaz, and researching the Etape, Gaz and I entered the 2008 Etape via French Cycling Holidays. That was the easy bit. Next was purchase of a road bike. I knew very little about road bikes (some might say I still know very little now!) and I was not that keen on spending a vast amount just yet, so I bought an Aluminium Frame Kona Zing (Blue). Not a common bike, I think I have seen one other on the road, and the rider of that bike was somewhat faster than me, so I didn't see it for long...The first day I got on the bike was the first day I had ridden with cleats as well. First experiences (looking back over 4 years) was that the road bike was so narrow handlebar wise compared to a mountain bike, and so much faster. Cleats, I only fell off twice. The first time was in a friends front garden in front of his wife, the second time was half way up Cheddar Gorge, hard learning experiences. I also discovered that cycling up steep hills was also a new experience, going up New Road to the airstrip just outside Cheddar introduced me to the experience of pushing a bike up hill whilst wearing cleats, and cleats wear out quickly I have to say.
Now with new Road Bike, I was ready to go, and started out on some AUDAX rides. I jumped right in and did the Dr Fosters Winter Warmer ride which was 200km. It was a 7am start in the dark outside Cardiff, and I forgot my money for lunches etc, so after 5 mins I turned back, and then with money in pocket restarted the ride, but of course now completely on my own. I was quite disencouraged by this, and thought to myself, give it an hour or so, then turn round and go back. However, I found myself approaching the old Severn Bridge still cycling in the right direction and saw 3 cyclists going over the bridge, so I accelerated and caught up with them. One of the group was on a tandem (Andy and Jasmine) and they were very experinced AUDAX riders, the others riding with them were their friends. So I tagged along. Eventally we got to the Hazelfield Garden Centre, were I demolished beans on toast, and 3 cans of soft drink and several chocolate bars. Nutrician was not a concept I understood yet! The fizzy drink left me feeling hollow and with a strange taste in my mouth, and I am sure it didn't help at all. Sticking with the group, we eventually finished the ride at 6.40pm, again well into the dark. I was cold, shaking and exhausted, and when I got home I could barely climb the stairs, nor could I get comfortable in bed, every muscle was aching and groaning. Still, I had finished my frst 200km ride and I felt a glow of accomplishment at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment